Friday, September 24, 2010

Pig in the city

Last weekend The Pig of Happiness and I went into Perth for a day trip to play tourist in our home town. I must say, I absolutely love Perth. It's a nice, friendly place with gorgeous weather and I haven't yet gotten beaten up for taking photos of a plush pig...

First of all we stopped for a photo in front of this banner, just so you know where we were ;-)

Perth is actually a very small city, we have very few skyscrapers but thanks to the mining boom in the 70's and 80's we do have an overwhelming number of glass and concrete buildings.


One of the first places I take people new to the city is the Supreme Court Gardens, to play with the roos there. TPOH was just as fascinated as everyone else as been...



After the roos it was time to stop in at the Gumnut baby garden. Based on the characters by May Gibbs, most Aussies have grown up with them. Though I must admit, the sculptures are pretty freaky looking...


From the Gumnut Babies, it's a short walk down to the monstrosity that is the Bell Tower. TPOH quite likes the tower and I must admit, it's pretty when it's lit up at night but it does kind of look like they just nicked half of the Opera House roof and dumped it on the banks of the Swan River...


The city from the Espanade is rather pretty. Also TPOH is getting really enthusiastic about being in so many photos and demands I take one of him in front of EVERYTHING!


One of my favourite places in the city, London Court, or as I call it, Diagon Alley. TPOH found is quite charming.



TPOH loves this sculpture because the man is just so happy!


We came across this giant tooth on our travels and he was very happy to pose for a photo with TPOH.


It had been a long day so we skipped the stairs and took the escalator instead.


With the town crier.


Hanging out in the new orchard outside the art gallery.


And that was our trip! I hope you enjoyed the post, I'm taking TPOH along to The Perth Royal Show this weekend and hopefully will get the post up next week.

Note - I've managed to get the old blogger editor back, when I set up this account it automatically gave me the new version, which absolutely sucks! The old one won't be around for too much longer though so when they make the chance permanently please excuse the layout. You just can't rearrange photos the way you want with the new one!

2 comments: